Young adults who have a myriad of challenges continue to need support even after they receive their high school diploma. Recognizing the need for support transitioning into college and career, as well as continued social and emotional support, CIS piloted the Community College Initiative. The Community College Initiative addresses the national problem of low college completion rates, and aligns with our mission to empower students to stay in school and achieve in life.
Overall, a little more than half of college students (56%) graduate within 6 years of enrollment.
* National Student Clearinghouse Research Center (December 2013 Signature Report 6)
CIS extended services from four to seven community colleges during the 2017-2018 schools year. By removing some of the social, emotional and basic needs that serve as barriers for students we are able to increase their persistence and completion rates.
Current Campuses served by CIS:
- Houston Community College - Spring Branch
- Lone Star College – CyFair
- Lone Star College – Greenspoint
- Lone Star College – North Harris
- Lone Star College – Tomball
- Lone Star College – University Park
- Lone Star College – Victory Center
College Services Overview
The relationships we build are the cornerstone of our model and our success, but we also have the data to show that what we do works. Evidence of our effectiveness from the 2016-2017 school year:
3,893 Attendees - Across 38 campus-wide events
1,059 Students - Served through 6,483 hours of CIS Walk-In Services
248 Students - Served through comprehensive CIS Case Management Services